You guys know that I love to camp and I was recently asking the kids about their favorites parts of summer – and they said our camping trip! We head up to Michigan every year in July with our family and family friends and have an amazing time. We do head over to Disney’s Fort Wilderness Campground alot thru the year too. It got me thinking that we don’t have to just enjoy camping in a campground – we can have FAMILY FUN at home
Have a tent?? Now’s the time to get it out! Trust me, the kids are going to love this! Even if you don’t want to brave the elements for the night – head outside for a few before bed! Make popcorn, and tell stories and just enjoy each other. And here’s a great idea if you don’t have a tent – grab some old sheets and make a tent in the house… you know, like we used to do when we were kids…grab some chairs, the back of the couch and make your own tent!
Can’t build a fire outside? No fire pit? Well, I found a fun craft that will help you and the kids get into the campfire mood
What You Need (FOR EACH CAP):
- Felt, ½ yard of orange, two 9- by 12-inch sheets of yellow, and 1 yard of green
- Fabric glue or hot glue
- Small twigs
- 6 to 8 mini marshmallows (more if you think there will be any hungry crafters )
- 2 large paper clips
What You Do:
- To make a cap, cut a strip of orange felt approximately 5 1/2 inches wide by 16 inches long. Cut the felt width-wise into flame shapes.
- Next, cut yellow felt triangle flames, about 1 1/2 inches wide at the base by 4 inches tall, and glue 1 to each orange flame.
- Lay the felt with the yellow flames facing up and glue short twigs between the flames.
- Next, cut a green felt strip 2 1/2 inches wide by 26 inches long and glue it along the bottom of the orange flames, sandwiching the twigs. The flames and twigs should poke out from the top of the green strip. Lay it flat to dry.
- Once the glue dries, stick mini marshmallows on the twigs, then wrap the green strip around the camper’s head. Use paper clips to secure the cap in place and trim off any excess felt.
Need some camping recipes? I posted one of my favorites a few weeks ago – Check out my Pizza and Chocolate Covered Cherry Magpie Recipes.