Homemade Body Butter With Shea Butter and Coconut Oil
Shea Butter, REAL Shea Butter is some the best lotion I have ever found. Coconut Oil also has amazing benefits and a bunch of uses, in fact, when I was writing up my 34 Uses of Coconut Oil, I pointed out Coconut Oil is a great ingredient in making your own lotion.
I usually buy amazing Shea Butter concoctions from a small store in St. Augustine, but when we visited this year, I learned that they closed. You can still order online, but it’s harder to do in the summer months since natural ingredients have a tendency to melt. And since we live in Florida and the temps are over 80 already, I like to do my ordering in winter. Long story short, I made my own!
WHAT? Now, for some of you – you are saying “Yeah, I do that all the time…” But this was a big deal for me, I have never made my own lotions! But, it is so easy and you only need three ingredients and about 10 minutes. Who knew? Now we all do 😉
Here is how you make your Homemade Body Butter. You can use no essential oils, or any that you like! The scent is entirely up to you and your preference. I used a citrus blend of lemon, lime, orange and grapefruit…I love it, it’s light and perfect for Spring and Summer.
- ¾ cup raw shea butter
- ¼ cup organic coconut oil
- 10-15 drops your favorite essential oil if desired
- *You don't have to use the exact measurements above, I like using 3 parts shea, 1 part coconut oil
- Warm coconut oil in the microwave in a glass bowl until hot
- Put the shea butter in a plastic bowl (or easier clean up) and pour the coconut oil in
- Mix well with spoon or fork
- Add in your essential oils if desired
- Transfer to a jar or air tight container
This Homemade Body Butter would also make for a great gift idea, I store mine in the Half Pint Mason Jars and it’s perfect!
Where to buy the ingredients:
- Raw Shea Butter – Amazon Old City Remedies
- Organic Coconut Oil – Amazon BetterBody Foods
- Essential Oils
- Half Pint Jars – any retail store or on Amazon