When you think of comfort foods do you automatically think of a ton of calories? Well, you don’t have to anymore! This Healthy Roasted Red Pepper Chicken Sausage and Potato Casserole is full of flavor, not fat! Grab this easy dinner recipe and enjoy it today. While this post is sponsored, all opinions are 100% my own.
Healthy Roasted Red Pepper Chicken Sausage and Potato Casserole
Comfort food at it’s finest…and lightest. I do my best to create healthy meal options that are full of flavor, family friendly and easy to make. And while I love getting creative, sometimes my crew requests comfort food. You know… meat, potatoes, cheese, ooey-gooey goodness all served up with delicious flavor.
Not only did I create an amazing casserole complete with vegetables, amazing flavor, meat, potatoes and cheese but I created an amazing casserole that has less calories. I promise you, you won’t miss them though.
As an added bonus, this Sausage and Potato Casserole is easy to make! You can have this delish dish on the table in about 45 minutes from start to finish…and that includes the prep time! And prep time is a breeze because I used al fresco all natural chicken sausage. I used the fully cooked and seasoned Roasted Pepper and Asiago Chicken Sausage, grabbed some red peppers from my kids’ garden and was ready to get cookin’.
When using potatoes and cheese, I sometimes get concerned on whether or not the dish will have enough pizazz, but the roasted pepper and mesquite smoke flavor from the chicken sausage was absolutely perfect! In fact, when my husband saw the casserole, he thought he would have to add hot sauce or ketchup to it for add flavor…and he added NOTHING! My kids both had two servings and their friend even asked if he could eat over after he smelled all the deliciousness coming from the oven.
This Healthy Roasted Red Pepper Chicken Sausage and Potato Casserole makes enough for at least six, so it’s perfect for a crowd or if you would like leftovers for lunch the next day 😉
Now, here is my Healthy Roasted Red Pepper Chicken Sausage and Potato Casserole recipe, be sure to Print It and Pin It so that you can make it again and again.
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 package al fresco all natural roasted pepper and asiago chicken sausage
- 3.5 cups frozen diced potatoes - (the package will may say diced hash brown potatoes)
- 4 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 1 package 7 - 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (such as Franks or Tabasco)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Slice the roasted pepper and asiago chicken sausage about ¼ inch thick
- Add a ½ tablespoon of butter or a splash of oil to a large saute pan
- Saute the onions, peppers and sausage until the vegetables are tender and the sausage browns up a bit
- Add the diced potatoes to the saute pan and mix well, reduce heat
- Allow the potato mixture to sit on low heat while you make the cheese sauce
- In a small pot add all the cheese sauce ingredients and stir constantly until the shredded cheese is melted
- Pour the potato and sausage mixture in a casserole dish
- Pour the cheese mixture on top, and stir lightly. Just enough to move around the sauce
- Sprinkle 4 oz of shredded cheddar cheese on top
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes
I hope you enjoy this Healthy Roasted Red Pepper Chicken Sausage and Potato Casserole as much as we do!
As you can see, I served ours with fresh steamed green beans, making this meal hearty, full of vegetables and so easy to make! al fresco all natural chicken sausage is fully cooked and fully seasoned, making it even easier to cook with or to add to your favorite recipes.
We all had seconds of my Healthy Roasted Pepper Chicken Sausage and Potato Casserole and there was a small bowl of leftovers for lunch the next day.