Looking for a low fat, yet delicious idea for dinner tonight? This Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is it! Prep it as a freezer meal or put everything into the crockpot tonight and enjoy.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup – Freezer Meal
When the weather is chilly, there is nothing quite like a nice bowl of soup to warm you up from the inside out. This Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe is made in the slow cooker and can be made today or it can be one that you prep ahead of time and toss in the freezer. Personally, I love freezer meals! There is nothing quite like waking up in the morning and having dinner started in about 2 minutes…all before coffee…no thinking required 🙂
Now, here is my Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe, be sure to Print It and Pin It so that you can make it again and again.
- 1 - 2 chicken breasts - I use Zaycon Chicken breasts, so they tend to be big, you will want at least ¾ - 1 lb
- 1 24 oz can of stewed tomatoes
- 1 10 oz can of enchilada sauce
- 1 can of original Ro*tel
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup of low sodium chicken broth
- ½ medium onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Sour cream, shredded cheese, and tortilla chips for garnish if desired
- Place all the items into the slow cooker and cook for 6-8 hours on low
- If making the meal ahead of time, place all ingredients into a ziploc freezer bag and toss in the freezer until ready for use
- *I recommend cooking for 8 hours from frozen
- At least 30 minutes before serving remove the chicken and shred it with two forks
- Place the chicken back in the slow cooker
- Top with Sour cream, shredded cheese, and tortilla chips if desired
I hope you enjoy this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe as much as we do!
My whole family enjoyed this recipe, and I loved that it was simple to make and very low in fat! Just watch how many chips and how much cheese you top yours with 😉
Love Soup? Check out these other amazing Slow Cooker Soup Recipes.