Spicy Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
I have a delicious soup recipe for you guys today. If you follow my blog, you probably know by now that I like a bit of a “kick” to most of my dishes…Spicy is fun 🙂 Hence why I thought we would all enjoy this Spicy Butternut Squash Recipe!
I will confess that I have never made any kind of soup before that required me to puree the vegetables,and I was a bit nervous. But it was much easier than I thought!
There isn’t a ton of ingredients in this one, and prep time is about 20 minutes. What took me the longest was peeling the squash 😉 You will notice that I used skim milk and cream cheese instead of the heavy cream that you sometimes see in this soup…I like to keep my recipes as healthy as possible!
Make sure you have a nice big pot that will accommodate all that Butternut Squash! I used my Farberware Dishwasher-safe 5-quart pot with Teflon® nonstick coating. I appreciate easy clean up too 😉
Once you have the onions and garlic cooking, you add in the squash and that hot pepper and you are well on your way to a delicious, LOW-FAT, soup!
Ready for the recipe? Of course you are!
- 1 Butternut squash, approx 2 pounds
- 1 habanaro pepper - finely diced (jalapeno would be fine as well) - REMOVE THE SEEDS
- ½ sweet onion - chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic - chopped
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ¼ skim milk
- 2 oz low fat cream cheese
- Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds
- Peel the squash
- Cut into 1 inch cubes
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot
- Add onion and garlic and saute, stirring often, until they begin to brown
- Add the cayenne pepper, cumin, salt, and pepper - stir so they are mixed in well
- Add squash, habanero pepper, and chicken stock
- Bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and cover. Let it simmer for 15- 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender
- Remove from the heat and puree the vegetable mixture using a blender or food processor Puree until smooth.
- While you are pureeing the vegetables, add the cream cheese to the warm pot to soften it
- Add the pureed mix back into your pot
- Add in the milk
- Stir well
- Serve warm
I hope your family likes this Spicy Butternut Squash Recipe as much as well did!
Looking for more soup recipes? Check out this Low-Fat Easy Potato Soup Recipe.