Keeping your fitness goals can be difficult. But with these 15 tips, keeping them will become more realistic. Learn how to accomplish your goals.
15 Tips For Keeping Your Fitness Goals
What are your Fitness Goals? They may not have been New Years Resolutions, maybe you made your goal last month, maybe you made it last year. My question is, did you keep your fitness goals? Did you meet them and make new ones? Did you kinda stop thinking about them after a couple weeks and are thinking about making some new fitness goals? Well, you aren’t alone, only 8 percent of people actually keep their resolutions come February.
For me, my healthy lifestyle journey took a turn back in October. I had a milestone birthday that got celebrated…a lot. Then my husband and I had a trip to Napa, then there came the holidays. I was still running and biking, but not daily. And there was all that food! Then POOF it was January. I decided to get back on the workout train, then I managed to tear the meniscus in my knee. Fun times. I am a runner, biker, and a Jazzerciser. Running and Jazzercise were not recommend for my knee, but sitting idle at home was not an option for me. I like wine and chocolate too much for that 😉
So, I did something that I haven’t done in over 12 years. I walked into a gym. I will openly admit that I was a bit nervous, even intimidated. I mean I haven’t touched a “machine” in forever! But I walked in like I knew what I was doing and casually tried reading the “how-to” pictures without thinking that everyone was staring at me like I was a dork and had no clue.
Truth is, no one was staring at me, in fact, if I had a question, there was plenty of people that were happy to help. By day 3, I actually felt like I had an idea of what I was doing and I felt that even though being in a gym was completely new to me, I was back on track with my fitness goals.
Do you feel like you need some help getting back on track with your fitness goals? Need some motivation to keep your fitness goals?
Well, I wanted to share a few tips to help you keep your fitness goals.
Here are 15 Tips For Keeping Your Fitness Goals:
- Set Realistic Goals – and don’t be afraid to change them if needed. I was supposed to run a half marathon in a few weeks. I can’t do that with my knee the way it is. So, instead I will walk a 10k with my friend and I will focus on different forms of cardio.
- Make a Plan – You plan can be as simple as working out 4 times a week, or making sure to walk on your lunch break. But, have a plan.
- Buy Workout Clothes – This is a commitment! Not only to yourself, but you are saying that this is something that I will invest a few hard-earned dollars in.
- Work Out For A Reason – This is similar to goal-setting, but make sure you are working towards something. Better flexibility, more arm strength, better health, etc.
- Drink More Water – We are made of water, you need to replenish it. Give coconut water a try too! Do you know how much water you should drink in a day to stay hydrated? Take half of your body weight, and that is how many ounces you should drink a day. So, if you weigh 150 lbs, you should drink 75 ounces.
- Handle Those Cravings – Oh, this is a hard one for me. But, something to ask yourself when you just HAVE to have those potato chips or that chocolate bar is, Am I thirty? Tired? Before indulging, drink a glass of water and see if you still HAVE to have those treats.
- Watch What You Eat – Remember the saying, you are what you eat? Try to give your body lots of fruits, vegetables, and protein. Try new foods – quinoa, smoothies!
- Plan An Event – Not a party, but a 5k, 10k, Half Marathon etc. It gives you an actual date to work towards.
- Try a New Workout – Whether it be a class, or going to the gym for the first time in 12 years. Trying something new can be a great motivator.
- Get a Workout Buddy – Everything is better with friends! Or look into getting a trainer. Having another person holding you accountable is a huge help. I have the Lime Card Membership at YouFit and it let’s me bring a guest with me all the time, I love it!
- Track Your Progress – Whether it be by the number on the scale, your BMI changing, your jeans fitting better, you just feeling better. Give yourself something to measure your successes.
- Reward Yourself – Speaking of success…CELEBRATE IT! Maybe you lost 1 pound this week, maybe you skipped the fries at the fast food drive-thru, maybe you just had a GREAT DAY. Celebrate it!!! You have to take care of YOU and that means rewarding yourself now and again.
- Keep a Food Journal – Writing everything you eat holds you accountable, which may point out where you eat more than you wanted to in a day. For me, it’s the snacking, it points out all the snacking I do 🙁 But those calories add up, and if I am accountable of what I am doing, I may stop.
- Have Fun – Enjoy what you are doing! Go to a new class, try new machines, bring a book with you to read while you do cardio. If you are looking forward to your workout, you are more likely to do it.
- Keep Trying – This is probably the most important tip I have for you. DON’T GIVE UP. Keep trying. This is for YOU, and can only be done by YOU. So, keep trying.
I know I mentioned that I have just started going to a gym, and I am proud to say that I am really liking it! Do I miss running? Yes. I will be back outside as soon as I know it won’t hurt me, but I won’t be giving up the weights and routine that I have established at YouFit. I have convenience and classes available to me everyday, and my body is liking the new routine.
What tips do you have for keeping your fitness goals?
While I did receive my membership at YouFit at no cost, all opinions are 100% my own.
Looking for more healthy living and fitness tips?