Read these very important reasons why you should cook with your kids. Cooking with your children will help shape their future! This post was sponsored by the National 4-H Council as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
Why You Should Cook With Your Kids
Getting the kids in the kitchen will test your patience, will get you, the kids, and the kitchen messy, it will take you longer to make the meal, and you will have to give up a bit of control in an area that you usually handle.
So, why do it? Why Should You Cook With Your Kids?
Because cooking with your kids will create memories that will last a lifetime, be a bonding experience, and will help your children (and you!) in the long run.
But that’s not all, here are 8 other reason why cooking with your kids is important:
- Cooking with kids encourages them to try new and different foods.
- Cooking with kids encourages them to try healthier food options.
- Cooking with kids gives children a sense of accomplishment – something they can be proud of.
- Cooking with kids gives the whole family a break from technology.
- Cooking with kids helps build their self esteem.
- Cooking with kids is educational – it teaches math, reading, chemistry skills, and even teaches a bit about geography.
- Cooking with kids encourages eating healthier – more fruits and vegetables.
- Cooking with kids helps get them ready for the future.
Did you know that nearly 16 million children live in households that are food insecure, meaning they don’t have consistent access to food throughout the year?
As a parent, that is a heart-breaking statistic. So, what can we do? I am here to introduce you to 4-H Food Smart Families. Since 2011, UnitedHealthcare and 4-H have partnered together to deliver healthy living programs to more than 340,000 youth and their families in 14 states.
How does 4-H Food Smart Families help food security in homes?
4-H Food Smart Families creates more food secure homes by teaching families how to plan, shop and prepare healthy meals on a budget.
The Food Smart Families program incorporates an effective 4-H “Teens as Teachers” model – leveraging the proven influence of young people by engaging teens to empower their peers and families today and to help establish life-long healthy habits for their families and communities tomorrow. Hence the reason cooking with your kids is so important!
What is the 4-H “Teens as Teachers” program?
More than 400 youth trained to be Teens as Teachers serve as role models and mentors, educating younger youth and empowering their parents and families to shop better and cook smarter today. The program engages youth at a critical age for gaining skills and establishing behaviors that become sustainable, healthy habits for their families and communities tomorrow.
There have been positive changes in youth behavior as a result of 4‑H Food Smart families:
- 90% of youth participants now think being active is fun and good for fitness
- 89% now encourage their families to eat meals together
- 87% said their families have purchased healthier foods
- 86% now eat fruit for a snack over unhealthier options
Now, those are statistics I can handle. In fact, they make me very happy! It’s time to do our part too, get your kids in the kitchen with you. It may not always be convenient, you may be tired, but you are helping shape their future and by doing that, you may be helping others too. Maybe your child will tell a friend they like too cook, and maybe that friend will ask for time in the kitchen with their family…maybe you can create a positive domino effect.
With your help and 4-H Food Smart Families we can help families with food insecurity.