Zucchini and Sausage Breakfast Casserole
This Zucchini and Sausage breakfast casserole recipe is delicious, has hidden vegetables, and you can make it the night before! I just love recipes that we can make ahead of time and enjoy that slow morning with an amazing breakfast. I will openly admit that both of my children totally shy away from a LOT of veggies, but they both ate this strata and they made absolutely no mention of the fact that there was zucchini in it 🙂
You don’t need many ingredients and prep time isn’t too long, so you can have this yummy breakfast casserole ready and waiting in your baking pan in no time!
Now, here is our Zucchini and Breakfast Sausage Casserole Recipe, be sure to Print It and Pin It so that you can make it again and again.
- 1 small zucchini, shredded (about 1 cup) - we used a potato peeler to "shred ours"
- 8 z turkey sausage, casings removed
- 6 slices bread - we recommend a good bakery bread
- 2 cups shredded, reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups low-fat/skim milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Lightly spray an 11x 7” baking dish.
- Heat the oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring often, until the meat is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Line the baking dish with overlapping slices of bread.
- Sprinkle the zucchini evenly over the bread.
- Spoon the sausage over the zucchini and sprinkle evenly with the cheese.
- In a large bowl, stir the eggs with a fork until broken up.
- Add the mustard then the milk into the bowl with the eggs and stir until well-blended.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread mixture in the baking dish.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- To bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Uncover the casserole and bake about 45 minutes or until the top is puffy and browned.
- Allow to cool for 5 - 10 mins before serving
I hope you and your family enjoy this Zucchini and Sausage Breakfast Casserole as much as we do!
Looking for another delicious make ahead breakfast option? Check out these Paleo Sweet Potato and Breakfast Sausage Meatballs.
Looking for more breakfast ideas?